Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Paper Room - Part 1 ...

You are probably not aware, but The Paper Room was under renovations for about 3-4 weeks ... actually more like 3-4 weekends.  It's been a while that I've been "passively" looking for replacements for my towers of plastic storage containers.  The first plastic container I bought was starting to break down ... I guess that's what happens to plastic over time.  I figure I better start looking for some replacements; however, I still had a few years before the others deteriorated as the first one was purchase years before the ones in The Paper Room.

In January, hubbie and I went to Ikea to look at the Alex drawer unit that I saw on-line and some storage containers.  When I saw it, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.  I didn't want to settle, so I decided to look some more and just get some of the boxes and magazine file storage from the Kassette series.  I knew I would use those whatever I decide to get.

ALEX Drawer unit with 9 drawers IKEA High unit with many drawers means plenty of storage on minimum floor space. 

As we were heading downstairs, hubbie saw the PAX system and ask if it would work.  It's a wardrobe storage system but allows you the flexibility of putting shelves, drawers, etc. as per your need.  After looking into it a bit and planning out what I would needed ... and I mean planning!  I had different versions of worksheets in Excel trying to figure out how this would work and where I would store stuff ... I even weight some of my stuff to ensure it was in the acceptable weight for the drawer or shelf.  Finally, I had an idea of how many drawers vs shelves I would need; but before we could start shopping, I needed to move things out of the room and that was a challenge in itself!  It's amazing how much stuff there is in that room!!  I think hubbie was impressed with how much I was able to store in there.  He said I'm very efficient in storing stuff ... that's a complement, right!?

For a few weeks, I had stuff in every room upstairs!  In the spare room ... and that is just one side :)


In the bedroom ...


In the family room ...


Oh actually, it wasn't every room ... nothing in the bathroom ... so not that bad, right?  You may change your mind when I tell you that I did not empty the room ... just the area where the towers of storage containers were and where my desk was :)

All this allowed me to do a clean up in The Paper Room.  All those boxes that I had from Papertrey ... I undid them and layed them flat ... now it does not even fill up the box.


I also tidy up the closet and used it as a temporary storage area :)


Look, I've been robbed!!  I don't remember the room ever being so empty!!


Let me tell you this clean up showed me just how much paper I had ... I knew I had a lot but seeing it all consolidated as I sorted through everything ... let's just say .. wow!  Oh and I have a lot of ribbon too ... that I already knew though ... more than a drawer full as that's not all of it :)


I'll end here and continue in another post ... stay tune for Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment